
Amendment 2 didn't pass. . .
In case you don't know there was an amendment on the GA ballot to improve trauma care in this state. Basically, if it passed, when you went to register your vehicle you would pay a $10 fee that would go directly into an account that is LOCKED solely for trauma care improvements; this money was NOT going into the general budget. Reasons we need improved emergency care:
1. We need 30 trauma centers to support our population, and we only have 16.
2. GA only has 4 Level 1 trauma centers and they serve very large areas.
3. Deaths from traumatic injuries in this state are 20% higher than any other state b/c access to trauma care is severely limited.
I was so angry when I found out this amendment did not pass. At one time in my life, my husband and I needed trauma care, and we were able to get it quickly b/c of our location. I received a life saving diagnosis/4 major surgeries b/c I was lucky enough to be somewhat near a trauma center. However, a lot of people are not so lucky. Life/Death should NOT be a matter of luck. Why didn't this amendment pass? Here are my theories
1. The ATL population sees no need for emergency care funding since they have easy access to it. However, these trauma centers also need funding to maintain their facilities.
2. A lot of people don't want to pay the government anymore $ b/c of excessive government spending.
3. People did not understand the amendment on the ballot.
4. People don't see the need for amendment 2 b/c they have not ever been in a situation that trauma care was needed.
Here is an example of the problems with trauma care in GA:
Paula from Cumming, GA
On August 14, 2009 my husband had a motorcycle accident just north of Helen, GA. Unfortunately, he had to life flighted to Atlanta Medical Center. I have and will forever wonder, if there had been a hospital closer to the accident, capable of handling trauma, would he have lived.
It should be illegal that people in this state are dying because they cannot get the proper medical treatment in time, and I personally, find it very sad that some fellow Georgians would not support this amendment to help save lives and improve GA's medical infrastructure.
Thank you to those of you who supported this amendment!
1 comment:
So proud of you and love you!
Post a Comment